NOTE: Applications will open December 11, 2017 with a deadline of February 2, 2018. Thank you for your interest.
• Completed application form to be submitted electronically
(Deadline February 2, 2018)
• An assembled PDF sent by email should contain a statement of purpose, resume and unofficial academic transcript
- Statement of purpose (500 word maximum): Indicate reason for applying & prior research experience. Outline the nature of your interest in summer research and proposed research topic. Describe future education and career goals.
- Resume (include honors, awards, & other recognitions)
- Unofficial academic transcript
• Official academic transcript: Send directly from your Registrar to the SPURS program
• Two evaluation letters: Send directly from evaluator to the SPURS program (download form)
• US citizens or permanent residents
• GPA of 3.2 or above
• Underrepresented minority students (African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, or Pacific Islander) and/or students from economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds (such as first generation college attendee or low income)
• Interested in pursuing graduate education in a biomedical field (MD, MD/PhD, or PhD)
- Please note that preference will be given to students who are rising junior or seniors.
Students will be assigned a faculty mentor with whom the student will conduct directed research in an area of mutual interest.
WEEKLY SEMINARS & WORKSHOPS
In addition to research, interns will participate in weekly seminars and workshops. During the weekly seminars, students will have regular opportunities to discuss their research projects.
Meetings with staff and mentors will provide an informal setting for discussions of varied topics, such as: opportunities in academia and the nature and rewards of an academic career.
Housing accommodations at Columbia's Morningside Heights campus can be arranged for a fee payable by the program participant. Financial support for housing accommodations is subject to funding availability. No meal plan is provided.
$4,000.00 stipend for living expenses.
Mail applications to:
Castalia Sanchez, Administrative Coordinator
Department. of Physiology & Cellular Biophysics,
Russ Berrie Medical Science Pavilion • Rm 508 •1150 St. Nicholas Ave, NY, NY 10032 Phone: 212 851-5340 • Fax: 212 851-5345.
Application Form, Statement of Purpose,
Resume and any inquiries may be E-mailed to:firstname.lastname@example.org